There are several elements that contribute towards a healthy lifestyle and nutritious diet is surely one of them. It is said that a well-balanced, nutritious diet lays the foundation for good health. Hence, individuals should not overlook the importance of having healthy food in their stressful and fast-paced daily life. Usually, it is seen that people associate healthy food with dieting or are under the impression that balanced diet is only for obese people. Well, these are misconceptions that need to be broken. A balanced bland diet means eating a variety of food rich in essential nutrients. So, right from vegetables to cereals, legumes to grains, balanced diet consists of food from every essential food group.
Remember, eating healthy is not about any dietary restriction; it is about adding adequate proportions of different nutrients in your diet.If you want to plan a balanced diet but do not know where to start, here is a quick guide towards planning a balanced diet –
- Nutrition required by your body will vary with your size, sex, age and other factors. So, first you need to know the daily amounts of nutrients recommended for your body. You can contact an expert professional or a doctor to get a reference intake chart for guidelines on daily intakes.
- Plan your meals beforehand to include at least one food from each food group in your meal. When you plan in advance, you can easily analyze if you are missing on any food group and make modifications to your menu accordingly.
- Try to limit the quantity of highly processed foods and substitute them with natural foods. Make smart substitution choices like opt for whole fruits over fruit juices as whole fruits contain fiber.
- Reduce the sugar intake of your body slowly. Avoid sugar-laden drinks, packaged soups, frozen dinners and more. If you have a sweet tooth, try to substitute processed sugar or sweet snacks with healthier options.
- Experiment with your meals and be creative with your cooking techniques and ingredients. You can opt for health-friendly options like baking and grilling instead of high-calorie inducing methods like frying. In this way, you will be able to enjoy your favorite dishes without worrying about adding extra calories to the body.
- Remember, too much of anything is bad and moderation is the key to a balanced diet. So, make sure you eat as much as your body needs to sustain. From fibers to fats, minerals to vitamins, your diet needs to have a balance of all nutrients.
- Do not avoid eating. Focus on smaller portions of food across the day. After every meal, you need to feel satisfied not stuffed. Jump-start your day with healthy breakfast as it is necessary to fuel your metabolism.
Remember, healthy eating, healthy living! Follow a balanced diet and see the wonders it makes in your life!