Are you planning to travel the globe as a solo female? Feeling nervous? Worried something might happen? Being a solo female traveler can bring a level of concern to your entire family. However, if you take the necessary precautions and be aware of the cultural norms of the place you’re traveling, there are great perks to hit the road alone. There are many women who travel the world alone every year and end up fine. To help make your journey the best, safest and a satisfying one, here are some useful travel tips every female traveler should remember –
• Before you hop on a plane to head to your destination, do some research about the geographical and historical lie of the land and learn some local language / phrases to make your trip richer.
• Carrying heavy bags during travel not only weights you down, but also slows you down as well. Travel may be tough on your luggage – no matter how expensive it is. Otherwise, you may have to depend on the kindness of some stranger to lift your bags.
• Clean out your wallet, leaving all but the important documents and cards at home. If your wallet is stolen during your travel, you’ll still have your important documents and cards safe. Also, keep the most value items such as money, cards or some documents with you at all times, or use the hotel safe for some important documents.
• If you’re renting a car, spring for a GPS as you don’t wish to get lost in a strange place, and struggle with your phone in an unfamiliar area.
• Wear some loose clothes that look plain as well as inexpensive, and avoid tight-fitting clothes or loud colors that might attract unwanted attention from men.
• Avoid jewelry during travel – even a chain of fake gold can be ripped off your neck. However, do consider wearing a wedding ring.
• While traveling to a new destination on your own, it can be tempting to find a tribe and join up. At times, these tribes turn into good friendships. But, not always! Nowadays, there are some con artists having mastered the art of befriending female travelers and robbing them whenever they find an opportunity. So, take things slowly and depend on someone when they earn your trust.
• Watch your drinking. When you drink alcohol, it dulls your senses and slows your reaction time, which in turn can make you vulnerable to others. Not to mention, drinking excessively makes you look unprofessional. So, drink slowly. Eat beforehand or during the drink. Be cognizant of what you’re drinking and always prefer to take drinks directly from the bartender.
Even today, it’s a sad fact that a solo female traveler faces more danger than a man. This list is far from complete as there are ample of other useful tips out there. Hope these travel safety tips will give you a solid foundation for safe travel in the future.